Infuriating
What happened to all the supportive parents? While wading through all the crazies and snarkies, it's hard to find any that actually appreciate what you do and will tell you so. Today was a perfect example of that.
Every Friday my students take home a behavior folder. That folder shows their progress for the week. Any behavior issues, missing homework assignments, etc. are marked in the folder. Parents are to discuss any issues with their student, sign, and return it on Monday.
I had been in the habit of writing comments like, "Great week!" or "Fantastic!" for the students who had no marks or issues. Friday, however, I took a half-day and thus, left early. All the folders were ready to go, filled out, sans the positive comments. Homework: Get your behavior folder signed.
A student shows up Monday without it signed. I give him a missing assignment mark for not doing his homework (see above) and he says in his whiny tone, "But you didn't write anything, how was I supposed to know to get it signed?" Again, see the above homework assignment. And mind you, this has been the homework since the middle of August. The folder gets sent home Monday night. Try again.
Tuesday, today, I ask for the folder. It is back, signed, with a lovely comment (I shall try my best to quote it): "Ms. H deserves a strike for not writing a comment and thus showing us to sign the folder."
No smiley face, nothing to show that the comment was written in jest. Luckily this week the sheets in the folder get replaced or I might not have taken the high road and written something like, "It's no wonder your child has such a piss poor attitude. I see that he is a product of his environment." And then there might have been some expletives.
I love my job. I need my job. I love my job. I need my job.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home