Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Current Events

Every quarter I assign a current events project. Today I was explaining 4th quarter's. We started by looking at the due dates and then I began explaining in detail the actual assignment.

I started by saying that, like last quarter, the students could choose a current event/article of their choice. In previous quarters I had given them a topic from our reading unit such as "perseverance". Part of their instructions was also that their current event had to actually be current and must be within 2 weeks of their due date.

After explaining the assignment, "telling them everything I know" as I call it, I asked for questions. This is ALWAYS a mistake. Chances are, if it's a valid question, they'll come ask you later. But, I asked for questions anyway and one student raised their hand and said, "Well, it's not really a question, more like an example of a current event. Did you know Sandra Bullock's husband cheated on her and now they're getting a divorce?"

Maybe I shouldn't give them free reign on current event's topics...though these might be more interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home