Saturday, September 19, 2009

Snacks

I allow my kids to bring snacks to school because, well let's face, I want to have a snack. That and the fact that we don't eat until after noon and that's a long time to go without eating anything.

So, I always let the kids know the first week of school that it's fine with me if they want to bring a snack. However, there are some ground rules: The snack must be healthy. It must not require refrigeration or microwaving. It needs to fit in a sandwich-sized bag.

You know when there are specific ground rules such as these they were set because someone had done something to require them. True.

My first year of teaching I only told the kids to bring a healthy snack. One student brought in an entire box of Lucky Charms. For themselves. I then said a healthy snack that fits into a sandwich-sized bag. Same student brought a container of spaghetti. Blech. So then I added the refrigeration/microwaving part, but she didn't seem to mind eating cold spaghetti.

This year I need to review the rules again because this week alone I've seen kids eating Doritos, cookies, and yesterday, macaroni! I don't get it. Course this child eats pretty much throughout the morning.

First, a can of peaches. Then, some yogurt. Next, he'll eat...macaroni or perhaps some other delectable pasta dish.

Perhaps I should add to my guidelines "does not require silverware."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home