A New Discipline Idea
It's that time of year when the students are beginning to lose interest in school and I'm having trouble maintaining control of the classroom. Who am I kidding? This started happening in November. Apparently this is what happens in 6th grade. I'm pretty excited about this concept and am glad people are just telling me now as I would not have accepted the grade level change had I known: 1st semester=teaching, 2nd semester=babysitting.
Regardless of their behavior, I have to deal with it. And I've come up with this great idea. Well, I didn't really come up with it, I'm kind of borrowing it. Some of my boys spend the majority of my instruction time making eyes at each other and trying to get each other all riled up. Meanwhile I'm teaching and they are not learning. Anything. So, of course when it comes time to do independent practice on the subject matter I get a hand, "Uh, I don't get it." Well no *$%@ you weren't paying any attention.
Here's my solution: If you've seen the movie "Up" you know that when the dogs are bad they are forced to wear "the cone of shame." It's that funnel looking plastic cone around their necks that keeps them from nipping at themselves and really does look humiliating. I think this is a great behavior management tool as well for the classroom. It will keep the student wearing it from seeing other students (kind of like blinders on a horse) and will serve as a form of ye old dunce cap. All I will have to say is, "Bobby! Cone." The student will wear it throughout the lesson until I feel sufficient time has been spent. What do you think? Of course knowing my students this would become cool and the whole point would be lost and I would have an entire class of coned students. It's nice to dream.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home