Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Viagra? Ain't No Thang!

In Language class we are learning about common and proper nouns. To practice identifying them and distinguishing between the two, I had the kids look for different examples of each in magazines and glue them on a piece of construction paper. They then had to label their noun as either a person, place, or thing.

One student brought his paper up to me to be checked. All of his nouns were in the correct spot, but I had to send him back to his seat because he had labeled every noun that was a "thing" as a "thang." Maybe it's what he intended...I know, I know, I constantly curb their creativity.

As we went along many of the students had to ask me whether or not the noun they found was actually a noun despite the fact that I told them to simply ask a neighbor. Luckily on this one, the student asked me. This was another boy who called me over and pointed to his magazine- an advertisement- and said, "Is this a noun?" It was a Viagra advertisement. I said, "No. I don't think so." I mean, I had to lie! I couldn't send him home with a school assignment with Viagra on it! What would his parents think of me?

1 Comments:

At April 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM , Blogger HaleyMarieOlson said...

Haha! we did an assignment like that when we did solids, liquids, and gases. I swear every single child for liquids found some sort of alcohol advertisement...and we were looking in car magazines and better homes and gardens! I was planning on using them as something to show during parent teacher conferences, but quickly changed my mind!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home