Sunday, March 1, 2009

Think, Then Speak

As a blonde, I have subscribed to this philosophy. It came to bite me in the arse this week when I was at Cirque Dreams with a friend. There were creatures creeping across the stage and I cried out, "Look! A hedgehog!" My friend looked at me with a horrified grimace and said, "It's an ostrich!" Turns out we were both wrong and it was an emu, but the point is I should think before I speak. Those of you who know me know that this is not the first time something like this has happened.

Apparently it happens to other blondes as well. In 3rd grade we departmentalize and I teach Language Arts to all three sections. I can only dance around and teach parts of speech for so long before it becomes boring. I know that. After day 5 of verbs, I was trying to excite the kids at the beginning of class with the introduction of yet more verbs. Did you know there were so many types? Action, linking, helping, and today...irregular.

Sometimes we play hangman to guess the day's topic, sometimes the kids just guess, today the kids were guessing based on the first letter. Keep in mind I told them that it was a topic we have been talking about for many days. I said, "Today's topic starts with..." I then proceeded to draw a giant letter V on the board when a young blonde shouted out, "I know! Carrot!!"

What?

I couldn't help myself. I cracked up. I did tell her that she made my day. After I got the children settled back down, we proceeded to write past and present forms of irregular carrots...er, verbs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home