A Christmas Story
Yesterday, as my students paraded in, some placing gifts on my desk, I had "A Christmas Story" moment. I felt like the teacher in the movie when all of her students are placing gifts upon her desk. Granted, none of my gifts were giant baskets of fruit, but I totally have a Ralphie in my class. I didn't even realize until last night. Since the moment I met "Ralphie" there's been something about him that bugs me. Now I got it. Ralphie in the movie always bugged me, too. I much preferred Randy. At least he was irritating in a funny way, ("I can't put my arms down!"). That never gets old. However, Ralphie and "Ralphie" always talk to you and after you answer, continue to look at you a little too long. I'm sure you know people like this. People who make you think, "Is there a booger hanging out of my nose or something?" and then after they FINALLY stop staring at you, you wipe your nose. You know what I'm talking about. Or maybe you pick your teeth. Either way, they look just a bit too long. Well, I finally made the connection after "Ralphie" gave me my gift yesterday at my desk, did the eternal look and I remembered "A Christmas Story." Those of you who watch it every year (if you've been hiding under a rock, it's on 24 hours on TBS on Christmas Eve) may recall after Ralphie hands his teacher her gift and he just stands there imagining an A++++++++++++. She finally breaks him out of his trance by saying, "You can take your seat, Ralphie." Hopefully this is what this child is doing as he's staring at me.
Anyway, the day went on- I got some interesting gifts one of which was a questionable ziploc bag of...I'll call it snack mix. The class got an eight ball from the room moms which was a mistake. They went on to ask it questions (the kids, not the moms) like, "Will Ms. H ever get married?" Luckily the eight ball was kind and answered yes. I later found out the real question was, "Will Ms. H get married when she's 100?" So I guess a husband is in my future...just got a few decades to wait.
All in all, a random day. At least there were no Bumpasses. I wouldn't have minded a leg lamp instead of an eight ball though. Maybe next year...

1 Comments:
I TOTALLY know what you are talking about! I think there is a Ralphie in every class. Good luck with the school year!
Love, Hay
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home