Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Never A Dull Moment

Today my students helped their kindergarten buddies with field day. Well, some of them helped. They were warned before heading out that if they could not follow directions, they would be sent inside to work. Of course, you-know-who got sent inside. Sigh.

Luckily it was the last half hour of field day so I had gotten a lot of work done prior. So, I got him settled with his workbook and went back to working on my grade cards. Thirty minutes later it was time to go outside to retrieve the rest of the kids. Begrudgingly I dragged you-know-who with me.

When we got out there I let the kids have 10 minutes of recess before it was time to go inside. Five minutes into that 10 minute recess, you-know-who comes up to me and says, "I need to go to the bathroom." I gave him that look like, "Really? We were just inside for thirty minutes. Good god." I actually told him, "We're going inside 5 minutes." With that, he walked away. No comment, no nothing.

Moments later I watch him as he walks towards the back corner of the playground. He crosses the track, a no-no according to the playground rules, so I start to blow my whistle at him. He looks over his shoulder at me, and then keeps on walking. He then disappears behind some trees, all the while I'm blowing and blowing my whistle. The rest of the kids are looking at me like I'm off my rocker. He doesn't reappear so I start to march across the soccer field, thinking he's jumped the fence (this has happened to me before you know). Suddenly, he reappears.

I come to a screeching halt, point my finger in front of me and scream in my best angriest-teacher-on-the-face-of-the-earth voice, "Get over here right now!" He saunters over (this child never hurries) and stands there. I say, "What are you doing?" And he has the nerve to say, "I had to go to the bathroom."

WTF?

That's right. This child peed on the playground. I marched him up to the building, sternly telling him how embarrassing that is, how I would never force him to pee his pants, why didn't he tell me it was an emergency?, blah, blah, blah.

Do I really have to endure 3 1/2 more days with this child? I may not make it. Say a prayer for me tonight...and his mother.

1 Comments:

At June 10, 2009 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I peed on the playground once. Like 5th-grade? I couldn't find the teacher (I found out later he was on the primary side of the playground), but didn't want to get in trouble for going inside. Someone narked on me, but I didn't get in trouble.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home