Waving the White Flag
There have been times in my teaching career where, I'll admit, I've lost control. I'll tell a funny story or get off topic and the kids will start with, "One time..." Then the lesson's pretty much lost so you might as well go with them. Other times someone will fart, laughter erupts, and it's really hard to reign them back in.
This day was different. I have never lost complete control as I did Friday. Friday I had to completely surrender and just sit in my chair and watch as chaos ensued. There was no way I would ever get them back. Don't get me wrong, I tried. I yelled, I flashed the lights (their signal to freeze), I shouted empty threats, nothing. And do you know what caused all this anarchy? A chicken. A human, dressed as a chicken, standing in front of the school.
My classroom has always been at a bit of a disadvantage for many reasons, one being that we are on the north side of the building, right next to the office. So, during pickup and dropoff, we get to see/hear all the circus that goes on out there. Including 5 ft. chickens.
This chicken was holding a sign that said, "Eat more chicken" and was promoting our Tyson label collection campaign. Luckily all of this happened right at 3pm, just as we were packing up anyway.
You'd think my kids had never seen a mascot before. This week we have a beaver walking around promoting the carnival and he's not getting near the same reaction. I guess only giant chickens are exciting. Duly noted. I'll close the blinds next time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home