Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Cato?

Today's journal topic: "People celebrate Cinco de Mayo by..." I have found that a lot of the students, most of the students actually, have no idea what this holiday is about. Today is our Cinco de Mayo party in Spanish so I'll request that the Spanish teacher tells them why once a year they get to eat cheese dip and play Twister in Spanish class.

One of the students' responses to this journal prompt was:
"I celebrate Cinco de Mayo by sewing patches on my stuffed cats. It takes all day. That night I let them all sleep with me. I have 73 stuffed cats. Last year 57 fell out. This year I'll strap them in somehow."

I'm sorry, what? I get that they don't understand what this holiday signifies, but I think it's pretty clear it has nothing to do with cats, stuffed or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home